We can all agree that time is a limited resource and that is why it’s important that we learn how to manage it. If you are reading this, you are probably not making good use of your time and you want to learn whether you can do something about it. Below are 7 tips that will help you manage your time in a better way.
- Before you learn how to manage your time better, you first have to understand how you manage your time as of now, so that you can know exactly where you are going wrong. In order to track your time daily so as to figure out where your time goes.
- Every minute spent in planning saves you 10 minutes in execution. It is therefore important to plan your days ahead of time e.g. the night before or before the start of your day.
- To do lists are a powerful tool if used correctly. Use the rule of three by writing down three things you want to accomplish during the week, followed by three things you want to accomplish during the day.
- Set priorities on your list so that you can know what to tackle first and how much time to allocate to each task. Use the 80/20 rule to guide you i.e. if you have ten things on your list, 2 will be more valuable than the other 8.
- Use the single handling technique by beginning with the most important task and staying with it to its completion.
- If your mind is trying to remember all the things you need to do, you will have a hard time focusing and you will end up forgetting to do things or taking longer to complete tasks. To curb that just brain dump so that you can free up your mind and give yourself a chance to concentrate on the tasks at hand.
- Incorporate batch which basically means consolidating tasks to save time and avoid constant task switching.